Digital Painting and Final Artwork

The actual painting process is loaded with possibilities for lessons using pixel editing software. The color sketches are a good way to introduce students to drawing/coloring with the software. For the final digital painting, drawing/coloring is just one of the skills that will need to be used. In addition to the drawing and painting tools I also have too adjust my blend modes in order to lighten or darken areas. I use multiple layers to overlap different areas of my artwork and preserve parts that I don’t want to permanently alter. For example, I have created the background box color on a separate layer than everything else. This way I can just focus on the box and not worry about permanently changing it so that it’s harder to readjust the box color if need be.

Another lesson for students is how to use the font tools and the identification of fonts. This is a great lesson for a VCAE because analyzing why certain fonts are being used can reveal a lot about the intent of the artist and what feeling they are trying to convey to their audience. In this case, how the artist is trying to manipulate the buyer into buying the product. And in the case of Wacky Packs, you take all of that into account and then either duplicate it or elaborate in a humorous way on it.




Video of the artwork in photoshop and how I use layers.

By basic process involves laying down base color first, and then adding rendering to major shapes afterward. I am a big advocated of working from the general to specific. I am using the font tool for some areas, like the sign the bear is holding, but not for the main title graphic. That font is so unique and iconic that I would be unable to duplicate it using the tools at my disposal. Not only that, but the Wacky Packs artists usually do everything by hand so I wanted to try, as much as possible, to also do everything by hand. One thing to keep in mind is that this will be printed at less than 50% of its actual size so it is important to either print drafts of it from time to time or to resize it on the screen to see it how it will be printed.


Here is the final Wacky Pack artwork completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment